fash·ion

fash·ion [fash-uhn]

noun

1. a prevailing custom or style of dress, etiquette, socializing, etc.

2. the make or form of anything.

3. a kind; sort.


femme [ˈfem]

noun

1. a woman.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dear 1990's, I Love You.

This post is a shout out to 3 really awesome people I met this weekend.

It's hard to argue that the 1990's weren't an insanely awesome time for music...
but I also have a very special place in my heart for '90's fashion.

Grunge. Long Hair. Plaid Flannel. Ripped Jeans. Pearl Jam. Nirvana.

So, how do we bring the '90's into today?

'90's Trend #1: RIPPED JEANS
So I know some people will argue this trend is over,
but I don't mind ripped jeans if they're done correctly.
No, not the '90's baggy ripped jeans, but a skinny jean or a boyfriend jean.

I like the idea of this cute, relaxed weekend look, but I would have
paired it with boots instead of the flip-flops.
Skinny Jeans
 ------

I adore this runway look so so so much. I will never recommend matching denim on denim,
but the idea of this is classic cool. To make this work in the real world, choose either
a dark denim top with the lighter pants, or vice-versa.
Boyfriend Jeans
 ------

I love white jeans year round. The skinny with the subtle tears of the left image
is a cute, casual white denim look. The outfit on the right, I could live without, and so should you.
Skinny White
------

'90's Trend #2: PLAID SHIRT
Plaid shirts are awesome. Plaid shirts are even more awesome when they
are tailored. Skip the over-sized '90's flannel and opt for a more fitted look.

I think any of the shirts below would look great with jeans, shorts, or any of the
above ripped jeans. But, beware, plaid shirt + ripped jeans can equal disaster
very quickly. Combine with caution!

I love everything about the image on the left. It's sexy casual
but in no way is it dated or over-sized.
The right image is for the person who is very confident in pulling
off two very distinct styles in one ensemble.
Plaid shirt as a "shirt jacket"
 ------
I think all three images here are good examples of plaid done right.
The shirts are fitted, the jeans have clean lines, and the accessories are understated
leaving all the attention on the plaid.

------
 Traditional plaid; cute and casual. To look a little less "lumber jack"
and a bit more feminine, add a small femme necklace and some earrings.
------
This feminine take on a plaid shirt is great for any lady wanting
to partake in plaid, but it's much less casual and can transition from
day at the office under a blazer to a night out with friends.

Now, who feels like listening to some Pearl Jam and jetting up to Seattle with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment